Wednesday, September 23, 2009

In retrospect

So, now that the fervor for this last blog has kinda died, I'd like to say this:

In mentioning what was going on with the Idols from my season, I was honest with what was going on, or my knowledge of what was going on with them. But, in living with the blog for the last days, I could see how it came across as condescending to their accomplishments after the show. I never want to push myself up by putting others down. It wasn't my intention with this blog but a few people pointed it out to me, and looking through that lens I can definitely see how it could come across that way.

My season of Idol will never get the props it deserves because it was completely thrown under the bus by Idol and 19E and because none of our season had the runaway success of a Kelly, Carrie or Chris. I know each of these people are innately talented...some just as miraculously good singers and others as more well-rounded musicians (i.e., ability to write, play an instrument, etc.). Others were blessed with other skills outside of just music, but never got the chance to showcase those.

I wish that some of my class of Idols had followed some of the advice I laid out. I truly believe there are 2 or 3 artists who never got the chance they should have. Not because they didn't work or didn't want to work. But I think they simply didn't know how to navigate some of these waters. Neither did I. I knew more than most, but I was lucky enough to have A-level management from the time in the midst of the tour that I got released from my Idol contract. And I have learned soooo much from them...

In my original post, I was trying to set up to this season's Idols, "Look, you probably know my name simply because of Idol, but you don't know that success isn't measured just by record sales anymore...let me lay out how I've been successful to let you know how you can be successful, too." It was never about patting myself on the back. It was never to brag to outside people about what I've done.

This isn't an apology, just an admission that I can see that I didn't give my season the props they deserved.

11 comments:

Carmen said...

Chris,
I still say that the advice you gave was spot on. I can see how some folks took things the wrong way but I think a lot of people have a tendancy to read things and never take the time to consider the intentions of the writer. I got what you were saying and so did a lot of others but hey I am a 2% and I am just here to feed your ego. LOL That line of feeding your ego still cracks me up!
Nice follow up to your post. I have a feeling that this one won't get near the hype but it seems that you might of got a few new blog followers out of this, Leah being one of them. Which btw Leah, all the blogger girls (2%) want you to stay around and join us. You are a breath of fresh air to the blog. Just ask DJ!

risalea said...

The written word sometimes doesn't show the heart of the author. And sometimes things can be worded a little differently. (course I'm the peacemaker girl, always worrying about somebody's feelings) I think your intentions were honorable and included fantastic advice for those smart enough to follow it. However, I am cancelling my subscription to the NY Post. I know they'll miss me. LOL Moving on!

Jimmy Fungus said...

I didn't think the last article sounded condescending, except it is clear you are very envious of Sanjaya's massive talent (just kidding). I thought one of your greatest assets was your humor and personality, so to me...just focusing on making albums is cheating your fans. I would like to see you model yourself after Jack Black and "Tenacious D" perhaps...combining comedy and music. Or at the very least get involved with music journalism and do some reporting on the music scene for tv. Maybe you are already doing that and I missed it. Well, anyway, that is just some observations I am making...Ya know, just shootin' the breeze..just brainstorming...just playin' a little brain hockey on an early Wednesday morning. Anywho, I think Ellen Degeneres is going to try to be a little less callous towards these AI contestants, as she tried to help Josiah Leming, for example. See in this article Obama Supports Mandate (maybe) but opposes rudeness, American Idol feud (Ellen vs. Simon), Megan Fox wears a bag, Michael Jackson's new movie, Lady Gaga's "Poker Face", (also "Big Man Japan" movie review) she is trying to make AI kinder and gentler. But she is only one person dammitt! WHAT CAN SHE DO ALONE!!??? SHE NEEDS OUR HELP, AMERICA!!!!!

DJ in AL said...

Dude, sometimes you just have to write it the way you feel it, sometimes analyzing it too much waters the message down so while you make it more comfortable for the critics it takes out the punch the piece was meant to deliver in the first place.

Those who read the post in it's entirety got it, including alot of internet readers of the mainstream sites and publications.

Sigh, but because I know you have a heart as big as that curly head of yours and a healthy dislike for those who take you out of context, I understand this post too.

Anonymous said...

Chris,
I appreciate this post. I also did like the advice you gave to the idols in your last post. I was simply offended that you assumed things about the other idols, and decided that they weren't doing much. I am glad you see now that they are indeed, just as busy as you are. Thanks.

Cathy Storms said...

On a different note...tonight, Audra is taking the girls to see Miley Cyrus in concert. I can already hear Deliah squeel. No worries though Chris, you still are and always will be her best friend...

Renee said...

Chris, I just wanted to let you know that you were my favorite the season you competed in. I have your cd, and it is in my top 10 favorite cds, ever. It is a perfect mix of everything I love. I want to thank you for sharing your music. You truly have a gift.

Renee

Brenda Christmas said...

And here I was thinking that if Chris really wanted to toot his own horn in that last blog, that he might have mentioned being a co-writer on Rascal Flatts' #1 hit, "Here Comes Goodbye."

Braggy, but true. However, the purpose wasn't to build himself up but to let the new AI contestants know what to expect and have a plan for themselves.

Anonymous said...

Please stop apologizing. Your initial post was spot-on. It was realistic, tough advice, something not everyone is ready for. Actually, the "Live way below your means" is good advice, no matter what your career is. :-)

Anonymous said...

*Hugs*

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I'm usually a "lurker," but I just wanted to say that I totally agree about your season getting thrown under the bus. I always wondered how season 6 might have been different if instruments had been allowed a year earlier, and especially for people like you and Chris Rich.